Amazon Web Services or AWS is a popular cloud computing platform that is offered by Amazon. It is a large system of pay-as-you-go data centers that provide infrastructure for a huge portion of the World Wide Web. Amazon Web Services is become one of the key job providing areas in the IT industry. Let us look into a few interesting facts and statistics on AWS:
- The global infrastructure of AWS comprises of 33 zones of availability spread across 17 worldwide regions! The number of regions included is increasing with each passing year as they add them to the list.
- Amazon Web Services has over 70 services that include storage, computing, database, networking, application services, management, analytics, deployment and mobile.
- When data of a single year was analyzed (2014 to 2015) Amazon S3 has seen a rise by 91% in data transfer!
- Usage of Amazon EC2 has witnessed a rise of a staggering 80% in the years 2014-2015!
- The fastest growing service provided by AWS is Amazon Aurora which is a relational database engine.
- AWS is famous for constantly adding new features to its list. There was a 40% increase in new AWS features and services with 722 new features and services added in a single year!
- The rapid decrease of prices: AWS has decreased prices of its services atleast as many as 60 times ever since its launch!
- There are 54 global points of presence of AWS Edge locations. Here is where AWS WAF, Amazon CloudFront and Amazon Route 53 are offered from.
- AWS has customers from over 190 countries! The company has over a million active customers that include a whooping 5000 education institutions, 2000 government agencies and over 17,500 nonprofit organizations.
- AWS Data Services has increased by a staggering 96% in just a single year. This includes Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon ElastiCashe, Amazon RDS and Amazon Redshift!
- Majority of people are simply not aware of the domination AWS enjoys in the cloud computing space. AWS was officially launched in the year 2006. About 1/3rd of people who visit websites on the internet daily access websites which are powered by AWS!
- Domination in the IaaS space: 27% of cloud infrastructure as a service of market share belongs to AWS while 10% belongs to Microsoft and 7% to IBM.
- Eminent clients: The largest companies in the world like Netflix, Expedia, Reddit and NSA use AWS to run their applications.
- In the year 2015, renewable energies were used by Amazon Web services.
- On an average, every minute, consumers view 7 million online videos, ask Siri 100,000 questions and buy $222,000 worth of items from Amazon as per a recent research! All of this hosted on AWS!
Just knowing how big is inspiring enough for any cloud aspirant to learn up about AWS. Did you know IIHT, the first in India to offer cloud training has an awesome AWS program that can give you hands on training? Check out iiht.com for more details!